Monday, March 23, 2015

Mini Movie Review: The DUFF (I May Have Compared it to the Book A Few Times...)


I am extremely picky when it comes to the movies I watch - there simply isn't enough time in the world to watch movies that don't interest you - but ever since I first saw the trailer of The DUFF, I just couldn't shake the thought of it. First there was the fact that I knew of some of the actors: Bella Thorne from Shake it Up, Bianca A. Santos from Happyland, and Robbie Amell from a ton of different things. Then there was the fact that the movie was based on a book, which obviously makes it that much better. I got myself so excited for this movie that I read the book by Kody Keplinger in less than a day, and then watched the trailer and several movie snippets repeatedly until the day I finally watched the movie. The book, I had problems with, but the movie was just what I needed.

If I had to describe the film in one word, it would definitely be adorkable. It's nowhere near as serious as the book, and yet at the same time, it incorporates problems with today's society, as well as the idea of body image and self-esteem. The best part is that there's an entire layer of cuteness to top it all off! I feel like I haven't watched a straight-out romantic film forever (as in no dystopias or supernatural aspects or saving the world issues), so this was a very pleasant, and even refreshing, viewing. I had to wait about three weeks after The DUFF came out to watch it, so I was über excited for it by the time I finally got the chance to immerse myself in the crazy world of DUFFs.

What I liked best about the movie is probably how well Wesley and Bianca were together. They were complete opposites, and yet, when they were together, they became more relaxed, and yes, mind-blowingly adorable. You could look at Wes and Bianca's face, and literally see them falling in love. I swooned guys, I really did. It was also really nice how the movie differed pretty significantly from the book, especially as it was more PG-13 than the novel, which I appreciated, since that was one of the aspects I disliked about the book. This movie took the absolute worst parts of the book, and then either eliminated them or changed them completely. I loved it!

True, nothing stuck out significantly in the movie, and it may have taken cliché to a whole new level, but sometimes you're just in the mood for the stuff, and everything works out perfectly. After taking my last and hardest final exam the day I watched The DUFF, I was most assuredly in the mood for a light-hearted, heart-warming film such as this one. It's a delightful movie that doesn't disappoint, and I'd recommend it to anyone who is on the lookout for a bit of immature fun. Also, fans of the book should try on the movie for size; while the basic plot is the same, the significant changes scattered throughout will keep you on your toes (in a good way!).

Movie Synopsis: Frumpy high-school senior Bianca (Mae Whitman) has a rude awakening when she learns that her classmates secretly know her as the DUFF -- designated ugly fat friend -- to her prettier and more popular pals. Desperate to reinvent herself, Bianca enlists the aid of Wesley (Robbie Amell), a charming jock. In order to save her senior year from becoming a complete disaster, Bianca must find the confidence to overthrow a judgmental student (Bella Thorne) and revolutionize the school's social order.

Source: Watched the movie in the theater.


Movie: The DUFF
Release Date: February 20, 2015
Director: Ari Sandel
Running Time: 110 minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13