Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Review: The Sin Eater's Daughter (The Sin Eater's Daughter #1) by Melinda Salisbury


I hate to say this, but The Sin Eater's Daughter is one of the most disappointing books of 2015. I'm not exactly sure what I expected from it, but judging by the squeals I heard from other people all over the world, I thought that I'd at least find mild enjoyment reading it. Based on the plot, I anticipated a great high fantasy that I would enjoy ever minute of. Unfortunately, it was not to be. Instead, the only reason I kept reading is because the book was so messed up that I just had to see where it ended (and the worst part is that the ending is the most unfulfilling thing ever).

Everything was great about this book until I met the prince, Merek. Believe me, I'm usually all for princes, but as soon as I saw him, I knew that it wouldn't work out. First, there was the fact that he was frowning all the time, and didn't deign to even look at Twylla, HIS FUTURE BRIDE, until she caught his interest. Even after that, he talked to her and wooed her as needed, and while Twylla was falling head over heels for his game, all I saw was a manipulative jerk. He wasn't mean or anything - not on purpose, at any rate - but whether or not he realized it, he was using her. Then add that to the fact that he treated the servants terribly and was just a general pain overall, and you've succeeded in creating the one prince I can't stand to even look at.

Then there's the other love interest, Lief, Twylla's new guard. At first, he annoyed me, believing he was better than everyone else. He seemed to think he had a bigger purpose, and to be quite honest, I'm kind of bored of the damsel in distress falling in love with the guard rather than the handsome prince. It's just so expected. It works in Throne of Glass, but in this? Not so much. About halfway through the novel, I actually started liking the dude, and yeah, even rooting for him. But then there was that crazy ending, and I was done. Eventually, when it came to the point where I was filled up to the brim with with annoyance for pretty much everyone in the novel, I was just reading to see where it would end. After all, with character so dim-witted and aggravating, they're not just going to get their happy ending.

I couldn't handle the main character; she was gullible beyond words. I like my heroines feisty (gosh, I love that word) and diligent, and Twylla stayed in her makeshift prison without a worry. I'll admit she complained a lot about having to execute all the people she did, but besides the constant lamenting that I never got used to, all she did was pray to the Gods in the hope that they would make everything better. I mean, REALLY. If you hate your life, then fix it girl! But yeah, she didn't fix it. No, instead what she does is believe the Queen's lies about her family, reminisce about that family, and then swoon over both Lief and Merek. Never has a love triangle annoyed me more, and never have I disliked a main character more.

However, not too long after, things started taking a turn for the interesting. Like, way more interesting. There were a combination of twists from that point until the end that literally smacked into my face and just sat there waiting for me to absorb it all. I still don't know if those plot twists were genius or lunacy, but either way, they definitely caught my attention. Nevertheless, at the same time, it kind of seemed like the author was aware that nothing had really happened up until that point, and added all the crazy in an attempt to salvage what was left. It kind of worked, but considering there were absolutely no clues to it anywhere else in the novel, it didn't sit well with me. What sucks in my case is that the cliffhanger at the end gives me absolutely no solace about this book, and what's probably going to happen is that I will end up picking up the next book simply to find out what happens. All those twists I mentioned before, they're left open-ended, and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a bit more than curious about what would become of Twylla after all those machinations the Queen put into motion.

The Sin Eater's Daughter is a fast-paced book that will most likely keep you reading even if you absolutely despise the characters and the storyline. The most disappointing aspect of this novel is that the plot had so much potential that wasn't used up, and I doubt that the next book in the series will be much better. It was impossible for me to connect with the characters in any way - especially the closer I got to the end - and to be blunt, I wouldn't blink an eye if any character in this book ends up dying. I HATE THEM ALL.

Would I recommend this book to anyone?
Hahahahahaha. No.

Book Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Twylla lives in the castle. But although she’s engaged to the prince, Twylla isn’t exactly a member of the court.

She’s the executioner.

As the Goddess embodied, Twylla instantly kills anyone she touches. Each month she’s taken to the prison and forced to lay her hands on those accused of treason. No one will ever love a girl with murder in her veins. Even the prince, whose royal blood supposedly makes him immune to Twylla’s fatal touch, avoids her company.

But then a new guard arrives, a boy whose easy smile belies his deadly swordsmanship. And unlike the others, he’s able to look past Twylla’s executioner robes and see the girl, not the Goddess. Yet Twylla’s been promised to the prince, and knows what happens to people who cross the queen.

However, a treasonous secret is the least of Twylla’s problems. The queen has a plan to destroy her enemies, a plan that requires a stomach-churning, unthinkable sacrifice. Will Twylla do what it takes to protect her kingdom? Or will she abandon her duty in favor of a doomed love?

Source: Own the ebook on my Kindle.


Title: The Sin Eater's Daughter
Author: Melinda Salisbury
Series: The Sin Eater's Daughter #1
Publication Date: February 5, 2015
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Genre: High Fantasy, Romance, YA
Pages: 336 pages