Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (#2)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish, where we form Top 10 lists based on prompts scheduled for each week.

This week's prompt is:

Top Ten Books People Have Been Telling Me That I MUST Read (in no particular order)

Click on the pictures for the Goodreads



1. The Thief (The Queen's Thief #1) by Megan Whalen Turner
One of my friends has been pestering me to death in order to get me to read this book, but I haven't...yet. I thought about it at first, but the romance doesn't exactly suit my tastes since the thief is much younger than the queen. Also, according to my friend, the queen orders one of the thief's arms to be cut off, so...

2. Night World No.1 (Night World #1) by L.J. Smith
Another one of my friends is very angry that I didn't agree to read this book. One, this first book is HUGE, and I'm not ready to commit to reading such a big book now that I'm in the middle of college applications. Then there's the fact that the author is L.J. Smith, the same woman who wrote The Vampire Diaries. Though I LOVE the TV series, I'm more than halfway through the first book in the series and I'm am bored beyond comprehension. I just don't trust the author enough to start another of her series'.

3. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
One of my best friends recommended this book, so I may eventually read it, but it's not high on my priority list since it's a classic (if it's not Jane Austen I don't trust it) and also because there's no romance in it, or not much anyways. Still, I'm touched that this was recommended to me because I am a HUGE lover of princesses and royalty and whatnot.

4. The Life and Death of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood
The same best friend recommended this book to me - apparently she loved it a lot - but I'm not sure whether I'll attempt it or not. I'm judging all my knowledge of this book on the movie trailer by the way. Though there's probably romance in the book, the plot isn't really my kind of thing. If I ever do read this book, it'll probably be just to see how much I dislike it.

5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusek
Unfortunately I can't remember who first recommended this book to me, but I remember someone saying that the movie was amazing, and that (of course) the book was even better. And then of course I was told to read it. By a combination of people actually. The story-line seems really deep, but being me, I'm troubled by the fact that there's no romance. The only way I'll end up reading this is if I fall in love with the movie if I watch it, or I'll be so extremely bored with no other books around me.


6. Anna and the French kiss by Stephanie Perkins
My friend and fellow blogger over at Renée's Book Café is the first person who recommended this book to me. As I'm more of a fantasy person than a contemporary romance person, I never actually thought I'd end up reading this book, but with 'Isla and the Happily Ever After' newly released and every book blogger ever raving about this series, I really do want to give this trilogy a try.

7. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
One of my friends on Goodreads said that 'Shiver' is one of the best series' ever, bur I never got around to reading it. Then I later saw a girl on Instagram greatly enjoying this book, and I just had to give it a try. I had already read the first two books in The Raven Cycle, and so I trusted that Shiver wouldn't be too bad of a romance. However, I DNFed the book at 40% from sheer boredom. I definitely won't be going back to that book soon.

8. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
The same friend who recommended Anna to me told me this book is perfect for me, and for once I actually agreed. The synopsis sounded oriented toward me, and I honestly can't wait to read this! I have it on my Kindle and everything...I just haven't gotten the time to read it yet.

9. Legend by Marie Lu
This is more of a group must-read than anything. Almost everyone who has read this book has given it about 5 stars, and so I figured with how popular it is in the book nerd world, it'd be a shame to miss out on reading it. The first time I tried reading this I checked it out from my school library, but couldn't get past the first few chapters. Then I got the boxed set for Christmas and tried reading it again, but I only made it a teensy bit farther than the first time. What I've learned about myself is apparently I can't stick with a book unless there's romance within the first 50 pages, but I'm going to break that assumption and finish 'Legend'. Eventually.

10. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
This is more of a book I MUST read for myself, as in I recommended it for myself (yes that's possible). Ever since I watched the premiere of the Starz show 'Outlander' based on this book, I've been dying to read the novel version since I have no patience to wait for the series to unfold. Honestly, one hour per week is NOT enough! The book is big, but I REALLY need to read this wonderful thing (and get some more Jamie moments of course!).



What books have you been told you have to read?