Thursday, August 7, 2014

Review: Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer


Ever since 'Cinder' left off at that crazy cliffhanger and 'Scarlet' finished without Kai ever meeting Cinder again, I'd been dying to read the moment when the two lovers would finally confront each other again. Since it didn't happen in 'Scarlet', it took me several months to get the courage to read this book. Then, Hafsah over at Icey Books wrote a post, and it happened to include a quote between Captain Thorne and Cress. After that, all my doubts blew away, and the next thing I did was pick up this book. And I must say, it sure did deliver.

From the very first moment I picked up this book, I was hooked. Cress's story was so much more interesting than Scarlet's, and I loved how innocent and unassuming her character was. I also adored how NOT unassuming she was: she fell in love with Thorne after hacking into the details from his past, and even from her satellite up in space, even before meeting him, she automatically assumed they'd fall in love with each other and have an epic romance. I laughed when it happened, but I have a feeling that my mind works along similar lines. If I was trapped in a "tower", I'd probably be falling in love with a random stranger too. Cress was essentially me: she was shy, she was imaginative, and she was isn't the brave heroine everyone can count on. Cress was a very refreshing main character, and I can't wait to see how she develops in the next book.

Remember how I said I've been waiting since that first book for Kai and Cinder to meet again? Well, they meet in this book, if not in the way you'd imagine. That doesn't mean it wasn't great though! I'm so glad my 2-year wait is over, and that there's not another killer cliffhanger that centers around the two lovers. That would have killed me. I'm really, REALLY happy about the fact that even if Kai and Cinder hadn't met again in this novel, I still would have loved it just the same. Thorne and Cress were adorable together, with Cress already head over heels for him, and Thorne having absolutely no idea. I always love damsel-in-distress stories, and this book definitely had several scenes of that. However, don't be worried that Cress is locked in her satellite for most of the book; she actually manages to "escape" pretty quickly, and the story moves on from there.

As this is the third book in The Lunar Chronicles, and as it's also one of the best books I've read this year, there's not really much else I can say about this book that would make sense. I could easily squeal and fangirl over every single part of this book, but I don't really think that would be helpful. What I can say is that this was a wonderful addition to the series, and it's my second favorite in it (next to 'Cinder'). I'm really hoping that the next book, 'Winter', features a romance between Jacin, one of the royal guards, and Princess Winter.

'Cress' features lots of love, lots of loss, and lots of kick-ass fighting. While I was slightly disappointed at 'Scarlet', 'Cress' met all my expectations, and honestly, possibly even went beyond them. The cliffhanger at the end seems like it will lead readers right into the next novel, and though I'll be sorry to say goodbye to the series next year, I can't wait to see what happens!

Book Synopsis: In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.

Source: Own the ebook on my Kindle


Title: Cress
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publication Date: February 4, 2014
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Genre: Fairy Tale Retelling, YA
Pages: 550 pages