Saturday, February 7, 2015

Review: The Cure for Dreaming by Cat Winters


Reading this book was like falling into a black hole: as I read, I was slowly getting sucked in without even realizing it, and then all of the sudden, I was in too far to even attempt to get back out. The thing is, I never realized that getting sucked into a black hole could be such an amazing, breathtaking experience. Let me be honest. There is no way that I can do justice to this book. Any attempts on my part to get readers to read this book will fall short of the mark, and will probably only serve to make readers less interested than they previously were. However, this book is too astounding not to give a glowing recommendation a try, so please bear with me, and keep in mind that The Cure For Dreaming is much better than I will probably end up making it sound.

The plot of this book includes hypnotism and a good-looking, well-mannered Henri Reveri (aka Henry Rhodes), so I knew I had to read this book. I mean, what could go wrong? And then I started actually reading the book, and I was convinced this was some conspiracy to turn everyone into a feminist - a very stupid idea, as it turns out LOL. I learnt about women's suffrage and the people against it in History class, but let's be honest, it's HISTORY class; I barely paid attention, and what I did pay attention too wasn't amazing by any standards. However, what this book does is it manages to take women's suffrage and twist it into something new - with the help of hypnotism and Dracula (yes, I said Dracula) - while still staying true what really happened. With a bit more emphasis on the evil, anti-women's suffrage men, because come on, it's a book. Anyone who looked at the words "women's suffrage" and started to turn away, PLEASE COME BACK. Like I said, this book is so much better than it seems, and so much better than I MAKE IT SOUND. I'm not even sure how, but this book lodged itself into my head and made it known that it is perfection.

The funny thing is, if you asked me why this book is perfect, I honestly couldn't give you an answer. I could talk about the aspect of how this book really brings feminism into perspective, and how the supernatural hallucinations were a big plus. I could discuss anything about this book, and it wouldn't be enough to describe the complete uniqueness this book holds. I haven't read Winters's other book either, so I can't even compare this to anything. I feel so frustrated, not being able to put into words why EVERYONE should read this book - what does a book blogger have if not her words - so all I can say is that you MUST give this book a try. Hopefully, you'll thank me later.

Fans of YA and historical fiction, I strongly urge you to read this book. Even if it doesn't seem all that amazing at first, all of the sudden, you're going to be frantically wondering whether the perspective of the novel is fictional, or more real that you realize. Either way, this book will get you thinking, and that, in any book, is priceless. After reading this, I really want to try In The Shadow of Blackbirds. The cover scares me off every time though *scrunches up face*.

Book Synopsis: Olivia Mead is a headstrong, independent girl—a suffragist—in an age that prefers its girls to be docile. It’s 1900 in Oregon, and Olivia’s father, concerned that she’s headed for trouble, convinces a stage mesmerist to try to hypnotize the rebellion out of her. But the hypnotist, an intriguing young man named Henri Reverie, gives her a terrible gift instead: she’s able to see people’s true natures, manifesting as visions of darkness and goodness, while also unable to speak her true thoughts out loud. These supernatural challenges only make Olivia more determined to speak her mind, and so she’s drawn into a dangerous relationship with the hypnotist and his mysterious motives, all while secretly fighting for the rights of women. Winters breathes new life into history once again with an atmospheric, vividly real story, including archival photos and art from the period throughout.

Source: Received a copy from the publisher for review. Thank you, Amulet Books!


Title: The Cure for Dreaming
Author: Cat Winters
Publication Date: October 14, 2014
Publisher: Amulet Books
Genre: Gothic, Historical, Romance
Pages: 352 pages