Saturday, January 24, 2015

Review: Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle #3) by Maggie Stiefvater


This is a bit embarrassing for me to say, but does anyone remember that time I featured 'Blue Lily, Lily Blue' on a NOT Waiting on Wednesday post? Well, let me just say I wish I could delete that post and wipe it from existence. To be fair, I did have the reasoning behind it: the second book in The Raven Cycle series was very boring, and I just did not understand why everyone was psyched out about this book. However, I started to fall in love with this book when I first held it in my hands - it has this really pleasant weight to it that one cannot help but admire - and as I started reading and got sucked into Stiefvater's writing once more, I remembered why I was pulled to this series in the first place.

That being said, I am not full on in love with the book like many bloggers seem to be. The unusual dynamic between the various characters in the novel still hold my interest, and after three books, I still have the characters I like, and the characters I do not. I saw many bloggers' status updates on this book, and saw that they all seemed to be in love with Ronan Lynch for some reason. I was really hoping that I would fall in love with him as well, since Gansey is not exactly the type of person you fall head over hells for, but what do you know, it did not happen. I tried to see it, I really did, but I failed to comprehend what made Ronan so special. Still, I did get to see a bit of the caring side he hides beneath his surface, and that was a pleasant surprise. The characters have all gone through changes from the first book to this one, and it is interesting seeing their thoughts and actions develop through the series.

The romance between Gansey and Blue is nothing out of the ordinary; it felt to me like it was just there in the novel due to the need for romance in Young Adult novels. This is really weird for me, but I felt nearly nothing toward the duo who are constantly fighting their feelings toward each other. That probably makes me heartless, but besides Blue's curse (which she still has not acted on), nothing between Gansey and Blue seem to matter much. To me, anyways. I am hoping that the next novel in the series is the last one - I HAVE TO KNOW WHETHER OR NOT THEY FIND GLENDOWER AND WHETHER OR NOT GANSEY WILL MEET HIS END - partly because if this series does not end soon I can see myself getting bored of it, and also because I am really eager to see what happens with the three sleepers: one who is supposed to be woken up, one who is not, and one in the middle. It's just...the suspense!

I am really pleased that this book was nowhere near as dull as I had expected it to be. You would think that by the third book, one would get bored of not having all the answers, but strangely, that only makes the series more appealing. It is kind of nice knowing that the climax will not occur until the last book, because it only makes me want to read the series more, if that makes any sense. Either way, I am super glad I took a chance on this book despite my earlier bias, because I can honestly say I would have been wrong in giving up on this series. The Raven Cycle has a lot of potential, and as long as the next book is the last one, reading this series will have been time well spent.

Book Synopsis: There is danger in dreaming. But there is even more danger in waking up.

Blue Sargent has found things. For the first time in her life, she has friends she can trust, a group to which she can belong. The Raven Boys have taken her in as one of their own. Their problems have become hers, and her problems have become theirs.

The trick with found things though, is how easily they can be lost.

Friends can betray.
Mothers can disappear.
Visions can mislead.
Certainties can unravel.

Source: Borrowed the book from the public library.


Title: Blue Lily, Lily Blue
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publication Date: October 21, 2014
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Pages: 391 pages