Friday, July 18, 2014

Review: Fates (Fates #1) by Lanie Bross

Fates
Lanie Bross
Genre: Mythology, YA
Publication Date: February 11, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte Press

One moment. One foolish desire. One mistake. And Corinthe lost everything.

She fell from her tranquil life in Pyralis Terra and found herself exiled to the human world. Her punishment? To make sure people's fates unfold according to plan. Now, years later, Corinthe has one last assignment: kill Lucas Kaller. His death will be her ticket home.

But for the first time, Corinthe feels a tingle of doubt. It begins as a lump in her throat, then grows toward her heart, and suddenly she feels like she is falling all over again--this time for a boy she knows she can never have. Because it is written: one of them must live, and one of them must die. In a universe where every moment, every second, every fate has already been decided, where does love fit in?

~A copy was received from Delacorte Press for review~


To me, I feel like this book is...indescribable, and not exactly in a great way. I expected this book to be something like 'Hereafter' by Tara Hudson, but it was really something else. That's not to say the concept of the story was bad; it's just that the plot played out better in my head than it did in the actual book.

As a few other reviewers also mentioned, I really liked the mix of Greek mythology and time travel. It was cool how instead of the Three Fates you read about in Percy Jackson, there are now sister fates who 1) actually have sympathy, and 2) are NOT the highest powers out there determining life and death. Kind of a scary thought, really. There were also these different worlds you can travel through with the help of a compass - the archer and the ballerina ones are the only 2 mentioned in the novel - and personally I would have liked getting a peek at more worlds than I saw. Like I said before, the thoughts the author had for this book were probably great, but it could have played out better.

I had a huge problem with the male lead, Lucas. He had this thing for Corinthe which was kind of unhealthy. Every time he saw her, whether it was at a party or when she was trying to stick a knife through him, almost all he could think of was how enchanting Corinthe looked and how much he wanted to kiss her. I really think he needs to get his head checked. However, he had enough problems in his life like a drunk, depressed father and a druggie sister. I guess I could cut him some slack. And this is just a little connection, but whenever Jasmine (the sister) was mentioned, all I could think of was Jared from TVD...just sayin'.

I know you're going to hate me for this non-TVD watchers, but here's another connection: Corinthe = Rebekah. It's true. They both had this huge problem in their lives concerning how they never got to make their own decisions. It was sad and I really felt for Corinthe. It must hurt to learn that everything you know and trust is a lie; I can't even imagine how it would feel. It'd be similar to my mom giving me away for some money. Ouch.

To wrap up this review, I just want to mention my mixed feelings about the end of the book. I loved how the danger was never what was perceived; it was brilliant the way Lanie made the predator the prey, and how that transformation was completely by accident. I don't think I could have stood it if any such thing happened on purpose between those two anyways (I realize you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but you will!). The very end felt incomplete, despite the fact that it's meant to be a cliffhanger. I feel like the readers should have been given just a mite more information; everything was so vague. Based on my experience reading this book, I don't believe I'll be making an attempt on the second. Last time: it's not that this isn't a good book. It's just that the romance was kind of dumb, for lack of a nicer word.